Eating Chicken Feathers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by caddodaren, Nov 18, 2016.

1. caddodaren

caddodaren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    Uncertain, Texas
    All ten of my hens are about a year and a half old. During molting about three weeks ago, the chickens began picking on Sugar. I caught them pecking her and pulling her feathers out and eating them. In a days time they pecked and pulled almost all of her feathers out. I put a dog carrier in the coop and kept her separate from the other girls for the last several weeks.
    Now she has a good start to the new feathers and I want to let her run with the rest of the flock. All the chickens, even the most subordinate ones, are pecking at her and are very aggressive. I have never raised chickens before and I am afraid they will hurt her badly if I just leave her in the run with the other chickens. They have a good size run and coop. I keep them inside during the day while I am at work. I put the girls in the run and close the door to the coop, and keep Sugar in the coop away from everyone else. I let them run the yard during the day on Saturday and Sunday. While in the yard Sugar stays away from the rest of the girls and does okay. Should I just let her out into the run with the rest of the girls, or is she a marked hen in the others eyes, and will they hurt/kill her if I leave her with them and am not there to protect her.
    Don' know what to do. I need advice please.
    Thank you.[​IMG]

2. caddodaren

caddodaren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2015
    Uncertain, Texas
    I also got a high protein feed a couple of weeks ago because I read they may be eating the feathers for more protein during molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by