1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ed62, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you eat your chickens, or can't you bring yourself to do it? Who kills them? Ours are pets only.

Ed

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I don't eat mine, but I'm a vegetarian so that kinda helps. I think even if I DID eat chicken, I'd have trouble killing and eating ours.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I wasn't planning on it, not enough room for a separate place to raise meat birds, but if I can't find a new home for my rooster he's gonna meet dumplings.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    If your really interested maybe you can find someone in your area that will do it for you or "trade" for one of their butchered birds. We used do that with rabbits when we were kids. It didn't bother us because we were't eating our pets. Well, at least that what my dad would tell us. LOL!! On a side note: how does your German Shepherd do around your chicken? What a beautiful dog.

5. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I killed one of mine and tried to eat it and I felt like the worst person in the world. I had to get rid of him and I figured that since I was eating chicken that was tortured and grown inhumanely, I should at least eat chicken that I grew myself in good conditions and good food. But when I saw him on my plate, I ate my tears instead and decided to never kill one of my own again. I also decided that day I would begin to eat less meat in general because we don't need so much protein anyway and if I can't eat a kindly raised chicken, I shouldn't be eating the tortured animals who aren't even healthy for me because of what they are fed (or aren't fed). I made the mistake of naming the all when I brought them home and even with a generic name like "triplet 1" "triplet 2" etc, I just can't do it.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I butcher any birds I cull from my flocks. I also raise meat birds for butcher. I haven't butchered any of my laying hens, but that may change as they stop being productive. Some of the most charming birds are pets, though, and they will not be served at the table.

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I am vegetarian but wish more meat eaters would raise their own meat instead of buying factory raised chickens. If you care about chickens and eat chicken meat, the best thing you can do is raise it yourself or buy from someone you know who uses humane practices. I can understand it being hard to do - if so, then maybe become vegetarian [​IMG] OR maybe you could trade with someone else as previously suggested. Even if you give the chicken meat to another chicken eater, it might just be one less factory chicken that gets eaten.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:you just 100% answered it for me

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I don't.......unless they give me a reason to!

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I haven't eaten chicken in almost 35 years, so my birds are safe in that respect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by