eating chickens you raise

fluffycreatures

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
THis is another dumb newbie question. But I want to get this sorted out before I get the chickens.

I am wondering if anyone out there has difficulty eating the chickens they raise ? How do they keep from getting attached so they don't think they are eating pets?

I have raised angora rabbits for many years but could not think of ever eating them. I have become detached enough that that I no longer name all of them (except on paper) because it was too hard on me when I got attached and lost them. Rabbits don't have much of a will to live if they get sick. Also to keep disease out of the rabbitry over the years I occasionally had to put one down so I became a "farmer" as the saying goes.

That said I don't know that I could eat something I have lovingly raised. It is quite a different think to wear it than to eat it! Now eggs seem to be different for some reason, but don't know about eating the chickens!!

I remember my father used to say that he wouldn't eat chicken because he had them as pets as a kid.

Now I love chicken to eat and am wondering how people deal with this?

Thanks
Dianne

Once you end up with a couple of problem roosters, you'll have no problem eating you own chickens.
wink.png

It's a common question and lots of people share your feelings on eating what you may see as a pet! There are some threads on doing the deed in the meat bird section if you are so inclined to go there and take a peek. There are also some threads on the trials and tribulations of butchering their first bird for the table. Might have to try to search for them to find them though.

I eat my own birds but I grew up that way where what you raise can be on the table.

It's a normal thought so no worries, and azelgin has a point there... sometimes a nasty bird who tries to take over your boot and show your feet who's boss or goes after kids really does taste good.

ETA:

Here are some threads found on a quick search that may be relevant

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=100092

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=89108

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76433

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65216

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13110

Good luck with what ever you decide!

Thanks for the references that's great. Well you made me laugh anyway.

I guess starting with the eggs and the care will get it all moving. Then I will see how it goes. I plan to start with some fancy chckens anyway and then go to a few orphingtons.

Dianne

smile.png
I think you need to set it firmly in your mind from the start ,this animal is food.I couldent eat a pet , but I can still treat meat animals as kindly as I would a pet &I still get upset when the time comes to do the deed,but when its done the meat is just meat.I have hand reared steers,a pig &reared a lot of roosters.AT least you will know they have been well treated ,compared to commercial chickens .

Well it can be really hard to do at times . We try to have dif ones for pets , eggs and meat although sometimes a few of the meat ones dont make it into the pan though
smile.png

You just have to try to not get too attatched to the meat ones , we do not name our meat chickens , only our pets.That makes it a lil easier.The meat birds we feed , water and check make sure all is well with them , but no no playing with them , hard for the kids to understand at times of course
smile.png

Some people can do this others just dont seem to be able to bring themselves to eat their own birds though.
All you can do is give it a try , it is much better than store bought though . You know what its been feed and no injections in it to make it grow faster.
Don't feel like its a wrong question cause there are many that do have the same feelings as you do , i find it hard myself
smile.png

My DH does the job of butchering !
If you can't bring yourself to do the job you could always take them in to be processed , just a thought.

Fay

Quote:
Amen to that! Even my five year old had no problem eating the rooster that had terrorized her. I didn't enjoy slaughtering it, but I'd rather eat the meat than just throw it away. Seems more respectful to the chickens--even the obnoxious ones.

we only eat our extra roosters. when a hen is about 5 years old and really slows down laying i would rather sell her for 5 bucks than process her. because she has been almost a pet for 5 years.

I think it would help if you don't name them, you get lots of them (having only 5 or so would make it easier to tell them apart which leads to naming.) And you don't make little friends of them by letting them sit in your lap, etc. My birds are slightly skittish of me, would rather I didn't pick them up but do come running at the sound of the feed can. I still sit in my chair and watch them, but I've just never thought of them as pets.

Of course, it helps that DH has no trouble whatsoever in doing the culling. I just don't watch except from a great distance.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom