Eating Chicks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Omniskies, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I once read that monks used to eat newborn rabbits, considering them a delicacy. Now that we're getting back into chickens full time, I started thinking about this again. How tasty and economical would it be to eat chicks? I'm talking about both the standard meat hybrids and "frying pan" roosters.

Has anyone tried this before? We're playing around with an auto-sex hybrid and thought if we could deep fry or otherwise cook the day-old roosters it'd be easier than raising 50-100+ at any given time, then butcher each and every one of them.

I've tried looking for day-old chick recipes on Google and haven't found anything. The closest I've come across is a Phillipino delicacy called balut, but it's made with duck eggs and eaten before the duckling hatches. So not -quite- what I'm after.

Any tips, thoughts and suggestions are extremely welcome.

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You do realize that day old chicks are more egg than meat at that point right? The have the yolk sucked up inside their abdomen.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    you'd think you'd bite into a big ol nasty yolk

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Nah .... they wouldn't even make a decent gravy [​IMG]

5. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    I think its Thailand or Vietnam, that deep fry the whole chick. It a street food, the chick has no feathers but it still has its guts and head and they eat the whole thing. They put some kind of soy sause of them. I wont not eat it but, to each there own.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    oh my goodness... :eek:

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Uhhmmm... no. :eek:

8. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Oh My Godness
    Yucky

9. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Gross! I had my nails done recently by a guy from Korea at a new nail salon here. While he was doing my nails we were chatting and talking about my chickens. I mentioned I had ducks and he asked me if I ever sold duck eggs. I said yes and he asked if I would sell him some that had been incubated to day 25. I guess they somehow cook them up and eat the unhatched ducklings. He asked if a $1.00 an egg would be okay. I was freaked out and didn't know what to say at first, so like an idiot I said that the price would be $3.00 an egg. He thought that was too high thankfully. OMG I'm still grossed out by it. No chicks or unhatched ducklings for me thanks!!!! I haven't had my nails done there since!!!

10. raffello

raffello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Eh, yeah, its a lot of work to raise a chicken to eat it, but I would think the result would be a lot tastier that a tiny little chick with hardly any meat on it... If I had chicks I didn't want, it would be more worth it to use them as fertilizer after they were killed- didn't the Native Americans used to bury dead fish in with the corn crop? If you had a garden, that is. Just my thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by