EATING CHIKENS WITH MITES?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Emmalinia, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Emmalinia

Emmalinia New Egg

Jan 12, 2017
    Hi everyone

It's been a rough couple of months, and our mite problem has just been overwhelming. I'm deathly afraid of bringing mites into my home, and so I'm truly considering culling my birds or at least most of them. I have twenty+ chickens and guineas, but I was wondering if it's okay to eat them?

I'm definitely using the hot water method to defeather them if that helps, I'm just wondering if anyone has eaten birds suffering from a mite problem. I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks, and PLEASE HELP ME.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Yes you can eat them. The scald kills all the mites. If the infestation is really bad there may be some deep scabbing that you will have to cut away, but they're fine to eat.

How are you treating the mites? They can be controlled if you stay on top of it and use a rotation of proven mite-fighters (like permethrin products). It can feel completely overwhelming and gross you out - I know that feeling well!

3. Emmalinia

Emmalinia New Egg

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks. I feel better. My sister just found an article online that mentions that eating them is just fine: https://www.google.com/amp/s/ucrtoday.ucr.edu/34009/amp?client=safari

"such infestations increase stress on the chickens and may cause economic damage such as decreased egg production and feed conversion efficiency, the researchers note. The researchers also note that there is no risk to humans who eat eggs or the meat of infested chickens."

We try to go the most natural route we can, and we were going to do the whole shibang, cleaning everything, spray everything and anything, wood ash everything etc we were looking at all the options and we were ready to do it all. Even possibly heat treat the coop to 140 F down the road as one other forum mentioned, or wait until the weather goes down into the negatives, hopefully -4, and see if that would kill any of them off. I know it's possible to control their numbers if not completely eradicate them, even the natural way, but I'm afraid for us the risk of bringing them into our home is just too high. I know I've brought a couple inside in the past without realizing because of the bites on my stomach, but thankfully it hasn't gotten out of hand. Honestly I wish I had read earlier on, when we first started out, that the likely hood of getting mites was so high. I would have kept on top if a lot more vigorously, but what's done is done.

Thank you so much for you're response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by