Eating Cochin Bantam meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I have two males here that I advertised for sale, and not one bought. They are babies yet, about two months old.
    They are listed as ornamental chickens, not dual purpose.
    Would they still be ok to eat if I butchered them?
    Thanks, Terry

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure. Wait until they are 16-20 weeks old. You should get 1-1/2 pound each. It won't be bad. Nice little meal each. Like a Cornish game hen.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Oh good thanks. I am purposely NOT looking much at them, lol. As I adore my cochins. I have five females and one of the babies is a female. I am holding her alot, but not the boys.
    I also have five silkies that I don't know if any are going to be males or not, but I might be able to place a silkie male.
    If not, are silkies ok too?

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Oh good thanks. I am purposely NOT looking much at them, lol. As I adore my cochins. I have five females and one of the babies is a female. I am holding her alot, but not the boys.
    I also have five silkies that I don't know if any are going to be males or not, but I might be able to place a silkie male.
    If not, are silkies ok too?

Silkies are a delicacy in the Asian market, so, yeah, it's fine to eat them. Some people won't eat them because they find silkies' black skin unappealing, but if it doesn't bother you, I say go for it!​

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:Then why don't you buy these???? Save their lives...?

Some people raise their birds for multi-purposes (i.e. natural bug control, fertilizer, eggs, and meat). I, for one, do not begrudge anyone for raising their birds for whatever purpose they choose unless it involves illegal activities (i.e. cock fights). Odds are, the backyard chickens are more humanely treated from hatch to slaughter than one of those pre-processed birds in the store refrigerated section. Much like puppy mill puppies, to buy such a store bird, in my humble opinion, only encourages the inhumane treatment of the animals.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

The Asian Grocery near me sells two types of chickens. The "black " skin chicken is much more expensive and is a very small framed chicken. I'm sure it's a silky.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

bantam cochins are evil (at least the ones we have/had are)

a quick snip with hand pruners.. skinned.. cleaned.. aged for a few days in the fridge.. then marinated in italian dressing over night.. wrap them with bacon.. stuff 'em with cream cheese and jalapeno peppers and lovingly toss them on the grill [​IMG]

you will plan on raising more just for that reason!

we do the same with quail and silkies too... they may be small.. but they are still yummy!

8. shawnadoodlebug

shawnadoodlebug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    covington,ga
    Quote:Then why don't you buy these???? Save their lives...?

Some people raise their birds for multi-purposes (i.e. natural bug control, fertilizer, eggs, and meat). I, for one, do not begrudge anyone for raising their birds for whatever purpose they choose unless it involves illegal activities (i.e. cock fights). Odds are, the backyard chickens are more humanely treated from hatch to slaughter than one of those pre-processed birds in the store refrigerated section. Much like puppy mill puppies, to buy such a store bird, in my humble opinion, only encourages the inhumane treatment of the animals.

HOW MUCH?????????:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  9. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Ok someone is upset in here, but their post is gone.
    I adore my cochins too. I adore my silkies. We just cannot keep males. If I give them away or sell them, someone will likely eat them. Why not us?
    If someone is in Mid Ohio and wants them, they are forsale now.
    Sorry to offend anyone, but this entire forum here is about meat chickens.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're still perfectly edible.

I once got a bunch of Bantam Cochins and (gasp) a couple Silkies for free and butchered and ate most of them. They were skinny and small, typical hatchery type, but still tender and tasty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by