eating cochins??

g&h farm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Brooksville, Fl
We have a rooster that is cochin/E.E. he has gotten very aggressive towards my other roos and and we will be processing a few roosters soon anyway, we are planning on doing him. Any thoughts on this? Will he be meaty at all? Hes built like a cochin more so than the E.E.. Looks big but I know looks can be decieving. We are caging all the roos for a little while being that our birds are free range. One is an older cornish x older neing like 8mnths. One is a Rhode Island aroung 10mnths and an E.E. along with the cochin. Any advice on feeding out and how long to cage would be helpful also. My husband does the processing and has done it 3xs before and is comfortable with the process, I do the cooking.
droolin.gif

I would feed 20% protein or higher for a while like 2 weeks to a month then process which will help them put some weight on. We processed Cochins and they were just fine. Not as breasty as the Cornish X birds but plenty of meat for my family. I think the only difference I found was that #1 they have spurs on the joint in their wing so you have to watch out for that when you are plucking. I actually jabbed myself pretty good because I didn't know they were there the first time. They also have fine hairs under their feathers that are easiest to get rid of with a butane torch rather than trying to pluck. Other than that there is no difference than the Cornish X for processing.

Thanks so much for the advice. Good to know about the spurs, I will pass it on to my DH. How about the Rhode Island Reds? They are a dual purpose but do they have much meat??

Back
Top Bottom