We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Eating contest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elitefarm, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Elitefarm

Elitefarm Songster

Jan 9, 2019
    Washington
    I have two roosters in separate pens but the pens are just seperated by a dividing fence. Since this fence has been up (they used to free range together) I have noticed that my roosters will run to the fence if the other one is there, and they both start madly eating the grass and do the chiro to call all of their hens over, after about a minute of eating grass they both walk away as if nothing happened. Is this normal? Are they challenging each other? They've never shown aggression twords each other and they've been together for almost a year, they used to snuggle before I seperated them, just wanted seperate breeding pens.

2. Tylerblockbuster

Tylerblockbuster Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    They are trying to fight eachother

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably just missing their girls.
    Not sure it's aggression per se, but more like 'competitive tidbitting'. :lol:
    Do they have any hens with in them?
    How old are they?
    What are your plans for breeding?

Elitefarm and Ursuline Chick like this.
  4. Elitefarm

Elitefarm Songster

Jan 9, 2019
    Washington
    I have a bantam Easter egger rooster who is 8 months old in with his flock of 6 girls and 9 chicks he's been with the other rooster since a chick, I actually had them together yesterday and they were snuggled up together sun bathing and the other coop is my black Ameraucana rooster (1 and a half) with his 14 hens (mostly blue Ameraucanas and some fbcm) so far I've set 15 of his eggs and all 15 have hatched

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So have you kept the cocks from the hens unless they are mating for the specific cross?

6. Elitefarm

Elitefarm Songster

Jan 9, 2019
    Washington
    The only ones I've hatched so far are 7 weeks old at the oldest so far but I will be keeping a few hens from there but they will be going in with the bantam rooster. All of the hens I own are with one or the other rooster all the time. I just seperated them to make sure the eggs I want to hatch in the future will be from the right rooster. But since I will only be hatching maran, Ameraucana, and bantam Easter eggers I can tell the difference of eggs from the other 14 breeds

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It takes 4 weeks to 'clear' a hen from 'unwanted' sperm.

8. Elitefarm

Elitefarm Songster

Jan 9, 2019
    Washington
    Yeah, lol the only hens I did hatch from had only been with my Ameraucana rooster and before I collected eggs they weren't free ranging with the young rooster. I was only free ranging the roosters together to give the hens a break.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: