eating cracked eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AZ CHICK, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AZ CHICK

AZ CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    Gilbert
    When i collect eggs sometimes some of them have a small crack but not deep enough for anything to come out.can we keep those eggs and eat them?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    We eat ours, I just don't sell the cracked ones. If it breaks through the membrane, I don't eat those.

3. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    When I collect an egg like that, I usually cook it up right away so that it doesn't sit in the fridge for a long time. Plus, if someone takes it out unknowing of the crack, it may break and fall on the floor or break in the fridge. Then you just have a mess.

4. AZ CHICK

AZ CHICK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    Gilbert
    Great, thanks! I was thinking they would be ok to eat.

5. 4mybcs

4mybcs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    Oooo thanks for asking this question. I have been cooking and eating the slightly cracked ones immediately and then tossing it if it was severely cracked or pecked at. Seems like I am on track.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually cook up the cracked or really dirty eggs for the dogs/chickens. I have a bowl I keep in the fridge just for them until I cook them. If they were clean and just had surface cracks I would have no problem eating them myself.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If the membrane is intact, I'll eat it. If it's a deep crack, it gets tossed to the dogs.

I think the dogs have something set up with the hens to crack a few eggs every so often....

1 person likes this.
  8. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Hahaha [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by