Eating defrosted chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tonkatuff, Nov 2, 2010.

1. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    I purchased 6 freshly processed chickens last Tuesday, they were 7 wk old meat chickens. I took them home and put them in the freezer. Two days later I took one out to defrost and cook that night (Thurs) I ended up too busy to cook so the chicken has been in the fridge since and I took it out tonight to roast it and when I opened the bag, it smelled a bit "funky." I put it in the sink and rinsed it (it was sitting in its own bloody juice) with cool water and it didn't smell much anymore one I took it out of the bag and rinsed it. So, my dinner or dogs dinner is the million dollar question!?!?!?!?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I would eat it...I don't think Thursday is too long at all. Odds are if you pulled it out of the freezer on Thurs., it still wasn't defrosted by Thursday night anyway. I say go for it. I pulled a turkey out of the freezer Wednesday afternoon and just cooked it yesterday and it was just fine...hubby said the best turkey he's ever had.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dogs. [​IMG]I wouldn't chance it.[​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    are you kidding??? that's only a few days EAT THAT BIRD! store ones are a lot older than that, the funny smell you noticed was just the fresh blood.

5. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    It's in the oven, stuffed with herbs, lemons, onions & garlic & lovingly surrounded by carrots and potatoes:D! I paid too much for that little plucker to toss it to the dogs!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    How many days was it in the fridge? 5? My bf would have KILLED me if I tried to feed it to him. He would have made me give it to the dogs. Let me know if it is good. [​IMG]

7. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Cook it until it hits 190 on the meat thermometer and it will be fine. It should of been in the frig before being frozen for a while after being processed anyway.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  8. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

some of you act like refrigerators have no purpose. 5 days to keep a piece of meat that came out of the freezer is nothing. Waste not, want not. I'll bet your dinner tonight was delicious! Sounds like you prepared it well [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

5 day old chicken? That chicken you buy at the store has a use by date that is at least 7 days old... it's a few more days older than that in reality

I bet that "funky" smell is the smell of a fresh chicken that hasn't been brined in a salt solution prior to mass packaging and shipment to the store. Real chicken meat does have a smell, unlike store packaged chicken meat which for some reason smell like nothing....

10. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:5 days is nothing..... he wouldn't even know the difference

i'm with everyone else... ENJOY! i've aged an older bird for a week before roasting and it was amazing.

(and for what it's worth, in france for the poulet rouge program the meat has to be sold (never having been frozen) w/in NINE days... so i'd say we're all good w/5).

Edited, as prior it came off a lot more snappy than i meant it to. oops!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by