Eating & drinking habits

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by epitidios, Jun 30, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Hi

I recently got a few chickens and two turkeys. All are too young apart from two chickens. I noticed that prefer to eat vegetables (tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers etc) and corn. I also give them bran but i mix it with corn. One of the problems is that they spill the food on the ground and they don't eat it. Is this because they got use to it from trays? Also i noticed that they prefet to drink water from the ground than the watering tank. Why they prefer that instead of fresh water? Any help is more than welcome.

Also at what age they start to lay eggs?

2. mama n her peeps

mama n her peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    im a new mom to 8 beautiful ladys and i didnt even know you were supposed to feed them veggies they are 5 weeks and are eatin medicated chick food should i be feeding the veggies as well what else should my chicks be eating any suggestions!

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

You might want to do a search of the forum for 'treats'. Some believe you should not feed treats until they are grown, some think there is no need for anything other than crumbles/feed, and others enjoy giving their chicks treats.

If you decide to give your chicks anything other than feed, be sure you provide chick grit or sand so they can digest the treats.

Some of the treats that are a hoot to give them: spaghetti, crickets, grubs, (let the games begin...good chickie TV).

My chicks have had: bananas, yogurt with crumbles, table scraps, blemished apricots from our harvest, beet greens, lettuce, swiss chard, any trimmings from salad makings, scrambled eggs, etc. Don't feed a large amount of treats...they need the protein from their feed/crumbles to develop.

My chicks act like pigs with feathers. [​IMG]

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:Your chick starter is all your chicks need right now. That's not to say you can't give them treats but the feed gives them the right balance of nutrients for their growing need's. If you give food other than the starter, make sure they access to grit. I'd stay with the chick starter though for now.

5. mama n her peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    thanx a bunch how long do they stay on the chick starter? and where do you buy grit? im new to this and i want to make sure my girls are getting everything they need!

6. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    If you have starter/grower, they can stay on that until 18 weeks or when you get the first egg. Then you can switch to a layer feed. Grit is only needed if they eat something other than the chicken feed you provide. Feed stores should have it, or mother nature can provide it in the form of sand or small gravel/stones which the chicks will take in as needed if they free range.

Your girls are getting everything they need if you give them a good quality feed with plenty of fresh water.

7. mama n her peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    ok sounds like im doing everything right love my girls !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by