1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating ducks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by snewman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    My ducks are coming up on the first recommended slaughter age of 7 weeks (based on pinfeather growth) and I was wondering if there is any benefit to waiting until the 12 or 18 week timepoints in terms of size, weight, etc or if they can just go now without me missing out on the best timepoint by rushing. I'm a little tired of the mess and want a few of them to leave.

2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I would like to know also since I am starting to raise a few ducks to eat.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Never raised ducks but maybe just try each time point and see what you like best! mmm Duck tastes SOOOO good!!! The thought is making me drool!

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I raise meat ducks. I've only ever butchered at 7 weeks though. The adults i keep are for breeding. My family says i'm not to even think of eatting sweet mama duck. [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i am right now raising three scovy ducks. Two for dinner one as a pet/breeder. I wait until 4-5 month. I want mine as big as they can get this year. I will slaughter the week before thanksgiving.

6. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    crap, I think my pekins are at 10wks now. They all look the same size, but the wife wants to keep any hens. They are definitely shedding or whatever it is called.

7. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I'm a duck hunter and so all the duck I have ever eaten is wild duck. Now if anyone here has ever had wild duck you know what I mean when I say it doesn't taste too good. "Gamey" is a heck of an understatement when it comes to wild duck. The meat is so bloody that is almost black, and it never stops bleeding. Finding a decent way to prepare wild duck is quite a challenge.

So how do you prepare domestic duck and how does it taste? Is the meat light or dark?

Not too many people eat duck so I am assuming that it is either not as tasty as chicken or is harder to prepare.

Dennis

8. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Dennis, have you tried cooking them like beef instead of a bird???

I take the breast, soak in salt water overnight, sear on the grill, slice thin, add to sour cream or left over beef gravy, and put over noodles like beef tips...

You might like them better like that.

9. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    I love home grown duck!!!! although again I have only had pekin at the seven week period . so far they have been great....... They are dark but we bleed them well so there is not alot of blood when cooking.....

10. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Have you tried soaking meat in milk over night.?. I do this w/ all wild game meat and it takes that gamey taste out of it..

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by