Eating eggs after antibiotic treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roosmom, Dec 5, 2008.

1. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Here is the antibiotic treatment I gave my ROO and Miley.....Can We still eat the eggs? Anyone?

Oxymycin 10 Soluble Powder

AgriPharm - view all AgriPharm products previous | up | next

Description Label Info
    A broad spectrum Antibiotic. For control and treatment of specific diseases in poultry, cattle, sheep and swine. One packet contains 10 grams of oxytetracycline HCI. Administer in the drinking water. One packet teats 1,000 pounds of swine, cattle or sheep an 10 mg/pound.
    American Livestock Supply, Inc. has taken great care in assembling this label information. But, due to the possibility of human error or manufacture label changes, American Livestock Supply, Inc. disclaims responsibility for use or misuse of this product. Before use, always read and follow the manufacturer's label on the physical product.

PRODUCT CODE AND NAME: Oxy-Mycin 10; 73726

DESCRIPTION: A broad spectrum Antibiotic for control and treatment of specific diseases in poultry, cattle, sheep and swine.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: oxytetracycline HCI - 10grams

DIRECTIONS: Chickens: Infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae - 200-400mg/gal; Packets/2 gallons stock solution 5-10; Chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infection caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli - 400-800mg/gal; 10-20 packets/2 gallons stock solution; Fowl cholera caused by Pasteurella multocida - 400-800mg/gal; 10-20 packets/2 gallons stock solution.Turkeys: Hexamitiasis caused by Hexamita meleagridis; 5-10 packets/2 gallons stock solution; Infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae - 400 mg/gal; 10 packets/2 gallons stock solution.Swine: Bacterial enteritis caused by Escherichia coli and Salmonella choleraesuis. Bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella multocida. For Breeding Swine: Leptospirosis (reducing the incidence of abortions and shedding of leptospira) caused by Leptospira Pomona.; Administer in the drinking water at a level of 10 mg oxytetracycline HCI per pound of body weight daily. Administer up to 14 days.Calves, Beef Cattle and Non-Lactating Dairy Cattle: Bacterial enteritis caused by Escherichia coli Bacterial pneumonia (shipping fever complex) caused by Pasteurella multocida.; Administer in the drinking water at a level of 10 mg oxytetracycline HCI per pount of body weight daily. Administer up to 14 days.Sheep: Bacterial enteritis caused by Escherichia coli Bacterial pneumonia (shipping fever complex) caused by Pasteurella multocida.; Administer in the drinking water at a level of 10 mg oxytetracylcine HCI per pound of body weight daily. Administer up to 14 days.

WARNINGS: Do not administer to turkeys, swine, cattle or sheep within 5 days of slaughter. Do not administer to chickens or turkeys producing eggs for human consumption. Do not administer this product with milk or milk replacers. Administer 1 hour before or 2 hours after feeding milk or milk replacers. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal. A milk discard period has not been established for this product in lactating dairy cattle. Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older.

So what is the "no eat" period?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    maybe someone else can say for sure but I thought I read you have to wait a week or 2.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    They specifically warned not to use this product in egg layers or in milkers. Most likely because they havent tested for withdrawal periods or possibly because they have tested and the antibiotic stays in the eggs or milk for a long time.

Call the Pharmaceutical company on Monday and ask to speak to their lab vet and ask for the withdrawal time for eating eggs. They may not be willing to give you the information. If not, have your vet call.... they will give the information to him.

I have been told by pharmaceutical companies anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months!

Chel

4. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I don't about that ,But this is what we did ,and i don't know if my chicken have lice or mites .We fixed a sand box useing the kids play sand and put some powder in it from tractor supply , now when they take a dust bath they are getting treated , and we still eat the eggs ,It didn't say that we couldn't .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by