Eating eggs after being sat on by broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chirpy, May 23, 2008.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My sweet broody hen is sitting on five fertile eggs that I had sent to me by a BYC friend. I have no Rooster.

My other hens keep literally standing on top of her and laying their eggs!! (Silly girls..) Or, she leaves the nestbox just long enough to get something to drink and eat and the others jump at the chance to add their eggs to her stash. So, their unfertile eggs keep ending up under her and I want those for our food.

I check under her every couple of days and pull out the ones that are not fertile (I marked the fertile ones).

My question: Are they still good to eat after being sat on for up to several days with her body heat/moisture? Is there anyway they could have 'gone bad' during that time?

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    All you can do is open them up and see how they look if there is blood { which I'm sure wont be any} or cloudy off looking toss them.
    And you really need to move the broody from the others you are taking a chance that your good eggs will get broke.
    Get you a pet taxi and set her up in it move her at night, eggs first.
    Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by