Eating eggs after Oxytetracycline?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixinrox, Sep 2, 2014.

1. chixinrox

chixinrox Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    We had to use a little Oxytetracycline in our small flocks (6) water.......the sneezing, nasal kind of thing was happening to a few. Anyhow, I thought we had a couple weeks before our oldest chicken started to lay, but she laid her first egg yesterday! Yippee! They have had the antibiotic in their water for just a few days now, and I am wondering what is the guideline for eating the eggs after antibiotic use? Any opinions will help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oxytetracycline is used off-label by chicken owners. Most people have found that 2 weeks is a long enough withdrawal.

3. chixinrox

Jul 6, 2014
    What if we need to use the Sulfadimethoxine medicine? Do we need to avoid eating the eggs then as well?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, there is a 5 day withdrawal for the meat with sulfadimethoxine, but many will wait longer especially if someone is allergic to sulfa drugs.

5. chixinrox

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you so much....reading and researching all evening. We are excited to finally have our Copper Maran laying, and will wait the 2 weeks after the antibiotic (though it was only in their water a few days), and keep an eye on things. None of them are sickly, but had the bits of nasal drainage and sneezing going on. I tend to worry, and not very experienced with what to do. I can say they are rather spoiled! I thought we had a little more time before laying, but not the case. I just wanted to "treat" them to get everyone good and healthy before laying. I have a flock of 6, ..........one 5 month old, 2- 4 month olds, and 2- 3 month olds, all getting along (finally), and so desperately wanting a good healthy flock!
    I am looking for the best foods to feed them, to keep them healthy without medication or antibiotics. More searching, but love all the help you have given me Eggcessive! Us "newbies" have a lot of questions and concerns I am sure!
    I think giving 2 weeks, organic, or natural, and we'll be enjoying the benefits of fresh eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by