1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating eggs after treating with Sevin? Anyone?? Beuhler?? URGENT...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arlee453, Jun 25, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Is it OK to eat eggs immediately after treating for mites with Sevin, or should I toss them for a period of time.

I did the search but I couldn't find an answer [​IMG]

Edit: I should have put urgent on this - I need to know if I can use these eggs I collected today to cook with - got to have something made for a thing tomorrow and I was going to make a cake using the eggs...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Check with Miss Prissy. I know she recommends using it. I don't recall ever seeing anything about holding the eggs.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I eat mine. We are still alive.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    thanks farmer Kitty - I have searched and searched - internet AND BYC and can't find any mention either TO hold eggs or NOT to hold eggs with sevin treatment.

For the time being I did clean them off using a damp paper towel, same as I do if they are poopy, and put them in a separate carton...

Anyone have a definitive answer for me??

EDIT: thanks Miss Prissy - I was typing my response when you posted yours!

Since you and yours seem to be healthy and happy, I'll continue just to wipe them down for a few more days and call it OK....

That is, unless someone else comes along with a reference that tells us something different!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are worried about eating them cook them for the hens.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's a contact insecticide not a systemic treatment like Ivomec. As long as you don't eat the unwashed shells you should be ok. [IMO]

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Just can't stop laughing over your post..."anyone? Bueller?"[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Thanks, I'm here all week

9. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    arlee453 - THANK YOU for posting this. I've been scouring BYC like a nut all afternoon trying to find out if I can eat the eggs since my girls are laying A LOT and I just dusted everything with Sevin dust today. I'll admit to being a bit nervous about eating the eggs, but hopefully it's okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by