Eating eggs (Humans)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Val3rie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Val3rie

Val3rie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Ok, I have a really STUPID question. I've had a few people, that I'm quite surprised, that have declined my offer of free fresh eggs just to get them off my hands. One, was skeeved out that they weren't "from the store" and another made a comment that they "aren't pasturized" OK, so really I'm pretty sure milk is pasturized and other things by a HEAT method and that even store eggs wouldnt be "pasturized" as it would cook the egg! Are they the idiots or am I? Could my chickens (who are kept immaculately) be shooting out any eggs that are not healthy??

Do store bought eggs go thru any kind of cleansing process that I dont know about (i mean internally not externally). I've been eating the eggs and I'm still around and kicking. I've tried to just brush off the comments and keep giving the eggs to the ones that are enjoying them and thankful for them, but then I decided I didn't want to be under-informed. Or maybe I just want a good come back for people who turn their noses up at my wonderful eggs!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yes, store bought eggs are pasturized.[​IMG]

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    they are passing up a good deal! [​IMG] Thier loss your gain, people will pay you for your wonderfull eggs, as long as they are not eating anything poisinous your eaggs are better than store bought eggs, and probably 2-4 weeks fresher. The store eggs are probably washed but it doesnt matter as long as there is no foregin matter on them.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    people are ignorant thats all, you cant really pasturize it at least not the way they do milk (I dont believe) but you can clean it, I dont bother though unless they are a little dirty. Those types of people would rather think that food just appears packaged and in the store. Some you can convert but most would rather their mind not be confused with facts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    store bought are they same as yours just been washed in a different place, my sisther inlaw is the same way if she did not but it at the store she want eat it, so i told her just save me your cartons so i don't have to buy them and she can save me money and i will sell them to someone else. william

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    City folks from New York, now there is a breed of animal that is strange. just offer your eggs to people who have a clue and will thank you for them. good luck.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The only store-boughten eggs that are in any way "pasteurized" are products that come in a carton -- Egg Beaters, or the cartons of whole beaten eggs they use in the food industry, etc.

Eggs in shells, from stores, have merely been washed with water and a mild washing agent.

People who are going to be stupid about Actual Natural Fresh Eggs From A Hen don't really deserve them anyhow <g>

Pat

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I only give eggs to the people who appreciate them. It would be tough to convince anyone to eat them if they are "skeeved out" by fresh eggs. Redhen is correct that store eggs are pasteurized, at least the cracked eggs in cartons are. They use a low heat so the eggs won't cook.
    Imp

Funny- 5 posts while I was slowly typing.
    Imp-typing as fast as I can with one finger

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so, okay..now i'm confused..i always thought store bought eggs were pasturized..are they or not?

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:okay..thanks, i was confused for a second....[​IMG]...i thought they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by