eating eggs that are under broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebertschic, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ebertschic

ebertschic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    My husband just read in a magazine that if a broody hen has been sitting on freshly layed eggs for a couple hours then they are not edible.

My hen is broody and sitting on her 10 marked eggs and the others lay in her nest during the day. At night I go in and get that days eggs out from under her. Should we not be eating those?

2. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I have a friend who collects eggs from under broodies daily. She eats them, I buy and eat them. I wouldn't eat an egg incubated 5 days or so.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    They are just fine for eating if you collect them daily. Other than it being rather gross, you could eat them at any point in incubation if you wanted to - they're not rotten - just developing chicks. (Please understand that there is NO WAY I would do this or recommend it - just saying they would be safe to eat [​IMG]) I'm not sure what would make them inedible after a few hours under a broody. Noticeable development doesn't even show until after a couple of days of incubation and at that point, it's pretty much just veins in the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by