Eating eggs...yuck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmkat55, Oct 10, 2016.

1. farmkat55

farmkat55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    We had been getting an egg day once our girl first started on Sat Oct 1st. Then she skipped the next Thurs., egg on Friday. No egg on Sat, Sun or today!

Then hubby found yolk on side of waterer inside house, then found a broken egg in yard and they both had yolk on their beaks and chest feathers....it was really sort of creepy! We only have one drake and one duck. Feeding an all flock crumbles, free choice oyster shell and grit. They forage in back yard all day.

What does this mean?

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I have ducks and chickens and the only time the chickens eat eggs is when the shell is not there or is so think it breaks when they sit in the nest. Normally it's a lack of protien in their diet that causes them to go for the eggs. I haven't seen my ducks go for eggs at all even when I crack them for the birds.

3. farmkat55

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    Hmm, was hoping to get more feedback but maybe it's just a rare occurrence...but anyway, I found an egg today that was ok and in the coop on the floor. So, I don't know.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, I have not been on the forum as much as usual lately....

Sometimes my ducks will poke at an egg that gets broken. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes there will be a soft-shelled egg squished before I can get to it.

I would keep an eye on them - I have heard of egg eating but I don't think it's common, and some folks blame it on feeding egg shell for calcium, but many do it with no problem.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I get plenty of eggs and the girls get any broken ones.
    If there is a broken one in the chicken coop, it has already been eaten. If the broken one was with the ducks, they leave it be. My chickens eat the yolk and they all eat the shell.

At times, the ducks have eaten the yolk of their eggs, but not in quite a while.

I wouldn't worry about it - she is a new layer and her system is still figuring things out.

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Sorry for a possibly stupid question. Do they have nestboxes? Are they using them?

7. farmkat55

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    I only have the one duck and her mate...but I had just thought last night that I should do a box for her!! I had read that these girls don't really set on their eggs so I just thought I needed to watch for random eggs! LOL!

So, she has been doing them in mostly the same place in the coop...one of the corners. But the one in the yard was a first! So, a nesting box is in order since we have gotten eggs again.

Oh, and that wasn't a stupid question! I had a stupid answer since I had not given her a box yet! LOL

8. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mine won't use a nesting box

9. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA

Try putting golf balls or fake eggs in. Ducks mostly lay in the morning so if you keep them penned up they are more likely to use the box. Also put some nice straw or shaving in so the eggs don't break easily.( sometimes they will bury the eggs under the bedding so you have to look carefully)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by