eating eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkie-mom, Dec 7, 2008.

1. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    One of my silkie hens has started leaving me an egg each day. I have no need or desire right now to try to hatch them, and have been gathering them and putting them in the fridge.

This is likely a stoooopid question, but can we just eat them like a regular egg?

Do people eat silkie eggs? They are almost too cute!

I am afraid of cracking one open and finding chick parts inside.

I also have roosters, one of which is riding the hens all the time.....so the chances of them being fertilized are very good.

Also, is one egg a day a normal regime? My other 5 hens are not laying anything yet. They are about 6 months old.

There appears to be no interest on the part of the hen towards keeping the egg to herself. She just drops in in the nest box and goes outside to play.
    [​IMG]

2. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Do you sell your silki eggs??Sometime I would like to raise a couple..

3. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    There's nothing wrong with eating silkie eggs, even if they are fertilized. The only way there would be little chicks inside is if the chickens were allowed enough time to set on the eggs. If you're gathering your eggs everyday there won't be any chicks inside. Try your silkie eggs! I bet they taste great! [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, they are so cute !! I eat my silkie eggs, they taste just the same as a non silkie egg. Just a tad bit smaller !!

5. silkie-mom

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    Thanks guys!
    I guess I don't have to fear the eggs anymore.

6. silkie-mom

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    Quote:I never thought about selling them.
    I wouldn't know how to be sure if they were really fertilized or not.
    I also don't know how quick I would need to get them from the cold coop to be sure they could still hatch. Right now it's around 30 degrees here at night, and 45 during the day. The hen just poops them out and doesn't sit on them either.

Of course the spoiled brats DO have a heatlamp on at night so their spoiled little prissy butts aren't chilly. My bad....I am a worried mother hen.

Would they be ok in the mail without being in an incubator?

When I got pet chickens the whole egg thing just came along with the package. I just enjoy playing with the chooks and spoiling them.
    Someone once said to me at the feed store....."what do you plan to do with the eggs?"......

I was like........EGGS????.....
    Hadn't thought about that part!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by