eating eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdstakingover, Sep 20, 2012.

1. birdstakingover

birdstakingover New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    have a couple dozen layers. eggs production suddenly waaaaay down. from 18 or so a day to 4 or 5. no sign of broken shells or yolks. not due to molting or vermin getting in coop. adopted 3 new hens from a frined. could someone be eating eggs without leaving any mess???

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

"adopted three new hens from a friend..."

This is most likely the culprit if you're certain that molting is not the issue. Chickens hate change, and changes can put a whammy on egg production. I doubt it's the issue, but do you pay attention to their poop? Look for evidence (or lack thereof) of worms, just in case. Worms puts a big whammy on egg production as well.

Now, another consideration is simply that the days have grown quite noticeable shorter (at least in my area) over the past few weeks, which often impacts egg production. But my money is on the addition of the newbies...

3. birdstakingover

birdstakingover New Egg

Sep 20, 2012
    my plan of action - a very willing six year old plans to be egg police tomorrow - he is checking for eggs every 20 minutes, so i will know how many eggs there are. if the numbers are way off, i will try to find the offenders. poop looks good, no wormies. adopted hens werent egg eaters but may well be now - would there be NO mess from the eaten eggs though?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I doubt the newbies are egg eaters. The newbies have probably just upset the balance. They're not laying because everything is new to them, and your initial flock is off due to the adding of newbies - Change is BAD to chickens...lol.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I've broken an egg and tossed it to the hens, they gobble up the egg part and leave the shell. Eventually it gets picked over and eaten, but not right away. And broken eggs make a mess, even if the hens are eating them you'd be finding clumps of bedding glued together, or bits of shell on other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by