eating eggs....?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
so i have a question for all you experts. if an egg is fertile but not developing a baby chick yet, is it ok to eat still? i was just wondering because i think all my eggs are fertile and i still want to sell them but i want to make sure it is save for people to eat first. thanks!

Yep, tastes the same nothing different. The ones I have laying right now are all fertile.

ETA: Not an expert here, just experience and good advice from these great folks.

Last edited:
Bri,

As long as your eggs are fresh and put in the refrigerator, they are perfectly safe to eat... and just as delicious.

All mine are fertile eggs that I eat everyday or sell, there is no difference in taste. The only way to get chicks is to either set eggs under a broody hen or to incubate them in an incubator to start their development.

All of the eggs that my hens lay are fertile. I sell them to my customers that way and they don't seem to mind. I did have a customer tell me that I sold her a fertile egg because there was a blood spot in it. She didn't know anything about blood vessels breaking in eggs so she thought that I sold her an egg with a chick growing in it.
idunno.gif

They are fine to eat....I prefer to refrigerate mine just to make sure nothing grows. I did live in a very warm climate in TX for a summer on a farm with an aunt and uncle...if several days 100 degrees you can get something growing. Just to check it I kept some fertile eggs at room temp for a couple of weeks...cracked open no chickie...the ones in icubator are growing.

thanks guys! i needed to know this befor selling eggs. i get like 6 eggs in just 2 days from just 2 or 3 hens. "most of mine lay the some color of egg. "

Quote:
I haven't gotten any yet with a blood spot, but you are saying that the blood spot can be just from blood vessels breaking in an egg?

If an egg was left out side, how long would you say that it would still be safe to eat? 1 day? 2 days?

Back
Top Bottom