1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eating feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

hello i have a ? is it normal for chickens to eat feathers i notice 1 or 2 of my hens will eat them if there on the ground in the chicken run is it ok if they do eat them i think i read somewere it mens there lacking calcium so thats why they eatem at times

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The theory is that they eat them for protein. They use extra protein when they are growing feathers, as after a molt. Not unusual behavior, at all.

3. Mogli

oh ok thanks for the info so it takes alot of protein to regrow feathers so thts why the will eatem off the ground? to help grow new ones?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some of mine eat feathers, some not, that I've ever seen. Maybe they eat them because they like them. Most of the molting feathers just lie on the ground.

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I read that feathers have protein. I have seen mine eat them too but right now many are molting and the run looks like a pillow fight.
    Caroline

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine pull them out and eat them; SLW and one EE have naked backs.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    time for BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed)

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Been feeding BOSS and high protein feed for the last two months.

9. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Some of mine will also eat a feather or two from time to time. My girls get plenty of protein. Some just do it.

10. Mogli

thank u all for the info i give them BOSS once in awhile but i read on this website some people said dont givem too much BOSS cuz it"ll makem have black runny poop is that bad if they eat too much BOSS?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by