Eating Feathers????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krazeepolack, Oct 20, 2010.

1. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

I sit in my cage w/my chicks almost everyday if I have time. One "red" seems to have adopted me already. She'll jump in my lap & sit for the longest time, getting rubbed & petted. Several others will sit for shorter times. What I have noticed recently, is all of a sudden, one hen or another will zoom down on a loose feather & scarf it as if they were starving. I have seen them eat a loose lying feather(s) amost 2" in length!!!! Is this a signal I don't understand?? Has anyone seen thier chickens doing this??

2. Beckyinma

Beckyinma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:mine do it too. only the fluffy down ones though, not the big long pointy tip ones. I think they have a lot of protein in them.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Eating feathers can be a sign that they need more protein. What are they getting to eat?
    It's usually not a problem unless they start plucking each other, but I don't think I'd like it. Maybe could cause a crop impaction????

Imp

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I also read on this forum it could be from a lack of lysine in their diet. (as well as protien)

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Some of mine do it also. They get plenty of protein. It's normal, chickens like feathers (down).

6. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

They are only 9 weeks old, so I still have them on Pruina start & grow. They love the stuff.

7. mskittydjs

mskittydjs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have seen mine do it too. My girls are about 6 months old...2 BO and 3 BAs. I have 2 new RIRs girls (about 4-5 months old) and have noticed the others "picking" on them and pulling a feather or two out and occasionally eating it. My girls are on layer pellets. DH bought them instead of the crumbles and I don't think they eat the pellets as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by