Eating Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oaklandmama, Jul 20, 2011.

1. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Hi there,

I just posted a question about rooster IDing, but also have a different unrelated question... Is any feather eating a sign of protein deficiency?

I've noticed that my chickens every now and then eat feathers that have fallen off already. No sign of excessive pecking. They're coop is outside on a dirt floor (not inside on concrete or anything).

Is a single feather every now and then normal, or should I think of supplementing? I've read of people giving their chickens cat food and such, but is it just me that finds that a little odd? Is there some other protein source I could give them?

Thanks!
    Jisun

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a few chickens that will eat a feather if they find one on the ground, but with no pecking going on I just consider it a normal thing; not a sign of a protein deficiency.

ETA: [​IMG] Jisun

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    mine do the same thing....seems not to cause any problems

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think it's more that feather picking or pulling can be due to protein deficiency. Mine certainly eat an occasional feather, but I don't see it often. When several were molting and could have used the protein, I never saw one eat a feather.

5. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Thank you! I feel much better, had worked myself into thinking there was something wrong with them. :)

Jisun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by