Eating feathers!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babyrnlc, Sep 27, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Ok we have this very mean new hampsire. She is not the head chicken but she terrorizes the younger chicks and a rescue hen we got. She is going bye-bye on Friday! Yay! (going to my brothers with his free range flock along with her side kick a bsl).

So they are out free ranging and I see her run across the yard to the dust bathing ee and proceed to pluck two feathers and then eats one. The goes on her way.

What in the world is this about. Sigh she cannot leave too soon.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Feather eating is usually a protein deficiency. Increase their protein and it should go away.

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:We have actually been feeding higher protien for the last few weeks (have 11 chicks in there and several molting) and giving treats like scrambled eggs and they have been free ranging a ton and I have seen her eat several beetles. I cant imagine her not getting enough protein. I am also not sure how to increase it any more.

None of the others are doing it and for a flock of molting girls you cannot even tell. I just know cause there are feathers everywhere. The look nice and fluffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by