Eating feathers

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
:(My RIR pullet ate her feather! They were eating their greens and I noticed a loose feather on her back. She saw it and turned and ate it, I thought she'd just pull it off. They eat a balanced diet, starter/grower, greens, corn on cob, watermelen, pasta, grapes and just introduced cottage cheese.
Is this normal or is she lacking something?
Thanks,
Judy

What a great question! Because I am wondering the same thing. My chickens find a loose feather and GOBBLE it up even fighting over it like it's a bug sometimes! And, what's more is they eat it so FAST!

I was wondering too... is this ok? I assume it's normal on some level since you can't expect to keep feathers away from them, but seriously they eat those feathers like it's their last supper or something.

So weird!

I'd love an answer to this too. My girls and boys have been on Start & Grow since day 1, and I think that has 18% protein. For a while every time a feather would fall they'd jump on it at lightning speed. Now they're leaving all of the feathers alone. When and why do they eat their feathers?

Sonja

Quote:
Chickens will eat their feathers to obtain more protein. If you are feeding a good protein rich diet you shouldn't see anything obsessive. They will occasionally eat one or two, just because they are chickens and have a brain the size of a pea.... but unless they are doing it compulsively, you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
i agree with this. too many people worry about odd or quirky behaviours, but as long as your husbandry program is good and your chickens aren't downright ill, almost everything is normal for pea brains. i particularly enjoy it when a little piece of baby fluff finally snaps off and goes floating through the hair while all the chicks scramble over each other to try to snap it out of the air. how disappointed they are to finally catch it and find it's only a feather and not a yummy, floaty bug.

This is interesting. I do not agree with the above because of my problem. I feed 22% layer and I have noticed all my chickens eating feathers that are droping on the ground, which is no big deal. My problem is I have one hen that will pick the feathers off the other chickens. She is not peaking them she is plucken them. Most of my chickens will cackle and peak her off to defend them selves, but I have 2 that will sit there and let her do it. These two are getting very bare. I am going today to get some blue spray to pu on them to see if this helps.

Also I let my chickens out everyday for about 3 hours and the eat grass and any bugs they can find. So I do not see this as a protien deficancy, but I do not know the reason for this.

Quote:
Baby fluff?.. no seriously, I'm talkin' full blown feathers here.. several inches long, very big.. baby fluff, no big deal.. but to see them fight over a great big feather... looks very different to me

I'm not worried, I believe they'll do what theyre supposed to do, but new owners, such as myself who still arent' confidant that our husbandry program is sufficient or even good, still wonder about these quirky behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom