eating fert. eggs or not

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horsechick, Nov 17, 2007.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    We're new so please excuse the newbie questions [​IMG]

If we want to eat the eggs and possibly let some hatch out, we have to have a rooster, but can you take the eggs laid each day from a hen that's been with a rooster and eat them just fine or are the insides different?
    Can you collect them everyday and should you wash and refridgerate?

You just don't wash the ones you want to hatch out correct?
    Thank you Very much.
    Angela

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I'm new too, but have had some of the same questions answered. Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs, provided that you collect them shortly after being layed and refrigerate them. No need to wash them (of course if they are really nasty you can spot clean them, but there is a natural protection that water will degrade (definately don't wash ones you plan to hatch, so I am told) Mine started laying eggs recently, and it is great to have a pet that delivers breakfast!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    There is no difference in eating fertile or non fertile eggs.....only when you incubate will a fertile egg start to have growth...fertile eggs have a bulleye with a dot is all....they taste the same as non fertile eggs...

I collect my eggs everyday and I do not wash them...my nest boxes are kept very clean for that reason....you can wash them if you want but they need to be refrig. ..some people wash their eating eggs , some don't.....there is a bloom the hen coats over the egg when it comes out the vent this is to keep bacteria out....You don't wash the eggs you want to set and hatch.....

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Exactly what Tuff said, ditto.

5. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    oh, thank you all very much!
    I am so happy to have found this site!

We've been bitten by the chicken bug....

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Well...you have hit the right site...we are all chicken addicts [​IMG]

7. horsechick

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    LOL!!![​IMG]

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome to the forum..... you may regret finding this place if you are not interested in being enabled to hatch and get as many chickens as possible... it's addicting and we are all just a bunch of enablers.

If we get everyone on here to get a lot of chickens, then we can say to our SO's that aren't chicken crazy.... '50 aren't TOO many... you should hear how many people on the forum have...!'

9. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    True...this is like an alcoholic joining a bar. Once the bug bites...you are done in for!

Remember, admitting you have a problem and are powerless over Chickens (or Roos) is the first step!

Oh wait...that is towards recovery! Never MIND!

WELCOME!

Cheers

Pedro~:-V

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by