Eating Fertile eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spitman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Is there anything negitive about haveing roosters with my laying Hens , is there any difference in egg Quality , and apperence of egg. I have a friend who thinks its gross to eat fertile eggs , and that she has even has seen blood before when cracking a egg . thats not possiable with fresh eggs is it . also I free range and I dont and wont send the girls out without the Boys. But I also want to have eggs that look and taste there best.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is just an egg until you start to incubate it. So no there isn't really any difference.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Tastes like chicken...eggs!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    A fresh egg will always taste the best. I do know that there are people that prefer fertile eggs over none fertile eggs. The thought is that fertile eggs have a life force in them and it will benefit the person that consumes the eggs. I can't say that I believe that, but to each their own.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There is no difference in taste or nutritional value in fertile eggs vs. non-fertile eggs.
    Also, you're just as likely to get blood spots/meat spots in unfertile eggs as you are fertile. The blood or bits of "meat" come from the hens own body, not from the egg being fertilzed.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Ditto....no difference at all. People who imagine there is a difference are just letting their imagination run away with them. The reason you don't see blood spots in store bought eggs is that they have a mechanical candler that rejects any that have a blood spot or abnormality.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Beekissed is right on the money!

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The only way to tell the difference is by cracking the egg open and looking in the yolk for the tiny 'bullseye' that shows the egg is fertilised. Most people can't tell the difference even on very close inspection. I've inspected my own egg yolks (probably fertilised as goodness knows my roo is always very busy with my hens!) with store bought eggs (almost certainly unfertilised) and even comparing what I see with pictures on this site, I can't really be sure what I'm seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by