Eating Fertile Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenboy7c2d, Nov 8, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    I'm thinking of getting Ducks, most probably 3 ducks and a drake. I would like the ducks to sit on the fertile eggs but when they are not i would like to know if i could eat them without worrying about eating a baby duck. Can someone give me information on ducks breeding and fertile eggs?

2. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    You can eat them dont worry, the eggs dont start developing until after they are incubated, so just dont grab them from under a broody and you won't know the difference.

3. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    great, because i don't want to be eating a duckling!! Also, are there any differences between fertilised eggs and unfertilised eggs when cooked?

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The eggs need about 100 degrees for 4 days before they start to develop blood vessels. The key is to collect daily and store in the fridge and you will never find a surprise in them.

5. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Quote:I cooked with fertile eggs from a friends ranch and they cooked the same as any eggs.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Collect the eggs daily, and you will not be eating ducklings. Let the ducks set on them and-- well you get the picture.

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Nothing to worry about, Asians eat balut (ducks fetuses at 17 days of development) and they call it gourmet treat.

8. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Yeah you'd never know the difference between a fertile egg and a sterile one. If it's super hot days in summertime I'd take the precaution of storing them in the fridge just in case. But if you gather them daily and not picking up ones that have been sat on, you'll be great. They are delicious and it's awesome to have the choice of eating or incubating. Also, for me, it's nice to know my girls are happy. They're kind of bossy to my drakes...!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by