1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Fishman43, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    I have questions about fertile quail eggs for the eating market.

Are the eggs taken straight from the bird pen and into the cooler, or are they allowed to develop for any quantity of time (if so how long, hours, days, week...) before being placed into the refridge for later consumption? Do fertile eggs have a longer or shorter shelf life?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Fertile eggs need to be about 100 degrees to develop. Otherwise, they are just eggs and treated normally, just collected daily and put in the fridge or kept cool. The only way to tell a fertile egg is that it will have a real tiny dot on the yolk, if it's fertile , the dot becomes surrounded by a clear area, looking more like a bullseye. There is no other difference.

3. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Isn't there a premium market for fertilized eggs, particularly in the Asian markets? Other than saying they are fertilized for that market how would they know?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The only difference is the little white bullseye in the yolk. That tells that they're fertile.

Otherwise, you need at least 2 days of 100 degrees in order to actually have the risk of eating a live, unborn animal, which still is about the size of a crumb.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by