Eating fertililized eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrbstephens, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

I'm aware that most of you do this. Does it bother you at all that the egg, had it been left under the hen, could have been a living chicken eventually. I'm a vegetarian, but I eat eggs and milk products. I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat a fertilized egg. Are the organic, free range eggs I buy from the grocery store ever fertilized? I've also bought fresh eggs from local organic farms and I now wonder if they were fertilized. The reason I'm bringing this up is because one of my 6 chickens is a rooster and I'm wondering if I'll be keeping it. So far he is well behaved and hasn't crowed or tried mounting my hens. I'd like to keep him because he'll be beautiful, but if I can't bring myself to eat fertilized eggs or if he starts to be a problem, then he'll be rehomed. [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    It does not bother me. I respect your choice not to eat them though. Your rooster will eventually start to mate with your hens. So if you can' t get past it you will have to re home him. [​IMG]

As far as the organic eggs you purchase they may not be fertilized. Maybe they keep them in separate pens when they aren't breeding. If it doesn't say on the carton you could contact them and ask. My guess is they are not because then you would be getting hatching eggs at eating egg prices. Just a guess though.

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    the eggs from the store, probably not... but the one's from the farm might be.... it depends on if that farm keeps laying hens seperate from any other birds for breeding or what not... you could ask...

And no, it doesn't bother me either... probably because I'm not a vegetarian though.... I can eat a chicken, so I have no issues eating their eggs, fertile or not.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    No it doesn't bother me one bit. There is no chick in it because it was never incubated. If I don't eat it then it gets thrown in the woods anyways, so why waste it...

This is a mental thing. Don't let it affect eating your good ol' homegrown eggs!

And for heavens sake....EAT A STEAK! [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That wasn't necessary, tsk, tsk. Food sources are a choice.

We eat fertilized eggs, because when retrieved promptly and refrigerated there is NO development. NO chick in there. The only difference is is the appearance of the tiny white spot. And I'm not saying what it is.

The farm eggs may very well be fertile, many keep a roo to protect the flock.

6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Funny but it has never bothered me... I rather prefer them because they are indicators that the hen laying the egg has a higher likelihood of a more 'normal' life than the average mass production egg and poultry farm. Yes, you can buy fertile eggs at some supermarkets... they are labeled as such.

I understand that it is the philosophy that you are struggling with here. The thing is that they wont develop unless incubated - by you or by a hen... so in absence of that - its just an egg. It's an egg with potential, but still just an egg. I'm sure there are those out there with more knowledge than me who can give you facts about differing or same nutritional value also to help your decision also.

The benefits and weight of your affection for having a rooster around really are a big deal... but you have to be comfortable with the realities of it in your own mind.

I tend to not worry so much about it, but my dedication is to other things, where yours is more to a very mindful philosophy - It's tough and a good bone to chew... well, so to speak... (Don't know what the vegetarian equivalent is to that metaphor [​IMG] )

Good luck finding your answer.

(btw... he will start crowing, and he will start mating with your hens eventually - that's his job... along with protecting them, and being handsome, and finding tasty tidbits for them...)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:If you eat sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, corn or even tomatoes you are eating something that could have life...........

8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:GOOD POINT!!

9. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

pips&peeps :

Quote:If you eat sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, corn or even tomatoes you are eating something that could have life...........

I think you're reaching on that one. A plant doesn't reason, or have emotions. I'll have to figure it out when the time comes I guess.​

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    pips&peeps :

They are Vegetarian, so eating seed would be the same as eating corn,tomatoes and etc. ???? what your point its not meat​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: