Eating fertilized eggs... (please move if in wrong forum)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cindyanne1, May 5, 2009.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Right now we do not have plans to keep a rooster... not because we don't want baby chicks or crowing, but because we'll be eating the eggs and for some unexplained reason, the idea of eating a fertile egg grosses me right the heck out.

I blame my mother for my grossout... she tells tales from when she was a girl of the time she cracked an egg into a pan and a half-formed chick fell out. That totally put her off fertilized eggs and even farm eggs in general because she "doesn't want to take the chance." She says she'll eat my hens' eggs, but only if I never get a rooster. [​IMG]

Anyway, my question is, for those who have a rooster running with their hens, are the eggs you eat fertile? Do you even eat the eggs? Do you only put the roo in at certain times and not eat the eggs that month or something?

Bottom line... are fertilized eggs as gross as my mother would have me to believe? [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    heck no!!! I eat my fertilized eggs all the time! The trick is collecting them a few times throughout the day. This doesn't give the hens time to sit on them or start to incubate. You cannot tell the difference from fertile to unfertile-eating wise/flavor wise-the only difference visually is that you will see a tiny bullseye circle ( white) on the yolk-thats all... Your mom was pulling your leg-or maybe the egg she had the chick fell out of was really incubating and it had been an egg that was missed int he hen house for a bit? [​IMG]

3. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    We have a rooster who "makes time" with the hens, and we do hatch out eggs sometimes. There is no difference in taste or texture between fertile and non fertile eggs. If you collect eggs daily and use (or refridgerate) them promptly, there isn't a problem.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You could probably have a rooster, and if you didn't tell her, she'd never know that they were fertilized!! Just make sure you keep gathering your eggs regularly; they need certain conditions to develop. Those conditions are definitely not found in your refrigerator!!

I absolutely eat fertile eggs. Some cultures even prefer them.

5. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Oh yeah, they are tastey. when your done, just pick up one of those little feathers to pick your teeth with![​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:your bad!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I've heard that fertilized eggs contain lower cholesterol than unfertilized eggs...Not sure if there is any truth to that or not, but makes you feel good about eating them [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you are really worried about something like that, just candle any eggs before you crack them. If they are clear...no problem!

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Now I'm not so sure about that last part. My mother in law was so cold hearted I think she was developed in a refrigerator. She was so cold she could freeze water. [​IMG]

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote:Now I'm not so sure about that last part. My mother in law was so cold hearted I think she was developed in a refrigerator. She was so cold she could freeze water. [​IMG]

[​IMG] lol!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by