1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maryallison77, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    So I am new and I have been doing alot of chicken reading. I never want to see the chicken embro when I crack a egg open!!! :mad: That would be disturbing to me! Is there a way I keep that from ever happening? Now if I get the eggs out of the nestbox soon as I see them (I do check them 2 times a day) and get them in the fridge will they stop forming even if they are fertilized?

I'd hate to get rid of our 1 rooster (Frank Feather Foot--hehe), but if I have to I will... [​IMG]

Thanks, MARY

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Mary Keep the roo, with a name like
    FRANK The Foo Foo Featherfooted Flyer

how could you get rid of him.

Just do what your doing and you will have no problems, even if you only collect once a day. You will not notice any developement unless you let a hen set for a couple of days.​

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As long as you gather your eggs at least once a day there's no chance you'll ever see an embryo when you open the egg. The embryo doesn't start forming until the hen starts incubating them.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I've had over a dozen hens laying for a year with MUCH roosterly attention, and not once have I ever had anything like a chick embryo, not even close. I do collect every day, but i don't refrigerate right away. (usually I let them rest overnight, then I put them in the fridge.)

Don't worry, just enjoy the delicious eggs!

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am with you MaryAllison77. I grew up on a farm, and if we missed a day, it was like Russion Roulette in the frying pan![​IMG]

Your personal insurance is collecting once a day. Is it me, or is anyone else a bit attached to their eggs too? I feel like I am eating the family dog! I'll trade my eggs with my dad, but I feel a personal connection to our "offspring!"

--it's probably nothing a good mental health exam can't fix!![​IMG]

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got a customer that swears fertilized eggs taste better than non-fertilized ones! You're fine on eating them so long as you collect each day. Enjoy!

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:That is especially good cut into small pieces then breaded and deep fried. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] Thanks everybody! I am feeling better about the eggs already!!! Now I just can't wait till I get one--haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by