Eating fiberglass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hoosierhen, Jan 12, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Chickens will eat the strangest stuff! I let mine out for a while today in a new area, and noticed a little piece of insulation on the ground and they were picking at it.
    Then I remembered I had poked some in a crack in the foundation of the shed last fall to stop drafts from getting in. I saw where they had pulled at it, so I poked it back in real far, and stuck a stick in the crack to cover it. The next thing you know, one of my Delaware hens is running around with this pink gob of "pseudo cotton candy " in her mouth. I pick her up to take it out of her mouth, and it was a big piece, half way down her throat! I'm surprised she could even breath!
    Well, I have been worried about giving them hay because of the crop issues, but I didn't expect this! I don't think she actually swallowed any but I guess a little woundn't kill her if she did. Should I be worried?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ...well there is not much you can do as far as I know... just duct tape that hole where they are pulling it out. They will eat naything and once in their beak will continue till it is swallowed.)

3. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I removed the remaining fiberglass. I covered the area with a board on the inside, and their litter is deep enough to provide additional insulation from drafts.

4. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Did the chicken who ate the fiberglass survive? I've lost 2 chickens recently and am wondering whether they could have eaten fiberglass?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by