1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating first eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Top Hen, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Top Hen

Top Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I went in the coop today and found 9 eggs. I was just in there three days ago when I cleaned it (no eggs at that time). I have 12 chicken that are 17 weeks old. My Question is: are those eggs ok to eat? How long can egg be left out of the refrigerator? Also I found these eggs everywhere except in nest boxes. Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are fine to eat.

I do not refrigerate my eggs. I keep them on the counter in a basket.

If I get one that is really dirty and it won't wipe off I do wash it, put it in the frig and use it as soon as possible.

Eggs cleaned but unwashed are protected by the hens natural 'bloom' and will keep on your counter as logn as 6 weeks.

Mine never last that long.

I fill a basket from friday to sunday with the days eggs - those eggs i use all the following week. Anything left I cook them and feed them back to the hens or split them with the hens and the pig.

The other eggs I do refirgerate for those people who want eggs and expect them to be cold.

Congrats on 9 first eggs!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    One more thing -

You really want to try to collect your eggs a few times a day. If left out there and one gets broken you can be the cause of a very bad habit that most likely you won't be able to break - egg eating by the hens.

If you can't collect often you really need to go out at least once a day and get all the eggs from the nests.

4. Top Hen

Top Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Thanks. Sounds like you have a good system. I'm stoked about my first eggs. Looking for plenty more. Now to get them in the nest boxes. Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by