Eating Fresh Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BriardChickens, Oct 19, 2014.

1. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I have a silly question: Well as I had previously posted in another thread my chickens started laying their first eggs yesterday. Someone mentioned you shouldn't eat fresh eggs right away, give it 2 or 3 days. Is that true?

I am not planning to hard boil them but was going to do them as sunny side up if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input.

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I just fried an egg that was just laid and still warm. Delicious!

3. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    You can eat the eggs,never heard that. Mine started laying about 3 months and eaten them from day one. You might get some soft shelled eggs but do not eat those no protective shell but everything else is fair game

4. iawoodchip

iawoodchip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Ia. area
    I'm new to raising chickens also, but isn't there already the bloom protecting the egg, even if it's a soft shell?

5. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Awesome, eggs don't require rest before consumption?

6. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    They do not. That said, if you're going to hard boil and try to peel them, older eggs peel better.

I'm new to raising chickens also, but isn't there already the bloom protecting the egg, even if it's a soft shell?
    The bloom is on the shell. I don't know how well it protects if the shell is soft but I will eat soft shelled if they're fresh and cooked well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by