Eating Grass????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by macadam8157, Apr 25, 2011.

1. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Was wanting to grow a grass bed inside the run I'm soon to build and was curious if anyone knew if there is a certain type of grass that chickens like more than others???

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I don't think they care what type of grass... but they probably will never let it grow. They eat it faster than it can grow. [​IMG]

3. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Try putting a square or 2 of sod down and put enough upside down plastic coke crates over it to cover the squares. The chooks will only eat the grass that grows thru the crates and won't scratch up the roots.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've often wondered which grasses chickens prefer. If they haven't been getting any green feed and they're starving for grass, they'll eat anything they can get. I know they'll eat typical lawn grasses, wheat grass and oat grass.

I always thought if I ever had some spare time and energy, it would be interesting to do a taste test with pots of different grasses in the run. They free range during the growing season, but I have them confined to the run a lot starting in late fall through late winter/early spring, because of hawks. They don't have any guardians anymore.

They also love dark leafy greens like chard, kale, collards, spinach, leaf lettuce, beet greens, turnip greens, mustard, chickweed, purslane, clover and alfalfa.

5. macadam8157

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    I saw someone who had a great idea with a salad bar type grass area sectioned off and covered in chicken wire. I was gonna duplicate that or try. Just can't decide what to grow in there.

6. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Be careful with sod becuase so much of it was grown with pesticides..do a search for salad bar. You can easily buy different types of grains and legumes and plant them in the salad bar style really cheap and always have grass for your chickens.

7. DaveBeaty

DaveBeaty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    New Mexico
    Try Bermuda, foxtails, and crabgrass. [​IMG]

No, seriously. Most people complain that they can't get rid of these types of weed grass, so maybe they can stand up to chickens. [​IMG]

8. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    mine haven't asked for anything specifically [​IMG]

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
  10. macadam8157

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Quote:do you know how tall this will grow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by