1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating habits

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by newchickgal, Nov 21, 2009.

1. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    I have a compost area where I put my organic throw outs such as carrot peels and such. Sometimes even that container that was pushed to the back of the fridge that looks like a lab experiment! We don't have our own chickens yet but the neighbors chickens are over here all during the day, free range. When they see me heading for my compost area they come running and feast on what I toss. So my question is, is that ok for them? They all seem healthy so I'm assuming that all is well. They even feast on the chicken skins I toss! [​IMG]
    Mary

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Yep it's okay. Don't worry. Chickens are omnivores meaning they eat meat and plants just like we do. Moldy things probably are not that great for them but I bet they are fat and happy to be able to dig around in there and find scrumptious morsels and bugs.

Almost forgot [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  3. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Thanks for the quick response Arizona. I am glad to give them these 'treats' even if they do eat up my compost!
    Mary

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    They're probably depositing some compost as well. Chicken poop is very good as long as it's been composted. It's a hot manure so as you turn your pile and work it in, it will help heat things up and get things going.

Oh, and the neighbors' chickens say "thanks for the snacks."[​IMG]

Mary in Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by