Eating inside of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mistyf12, May 13, 2010.

1. mistyf12

mistyf12 New Egg

Aug 13, 2009
    Hello I need some help! I have a 2 year old red hen, she got into this nasty habit and I can not break her of it. She is cracking and eating the inside of her eggs, all the while leaving the shell. The other hens I have eat the shell???? Am I not providing adequate nutrition? I have tried putting fake eggs inside the nesting boxes, clipping the tip of her beak, and changing and adding diffrent foods. HELP ME PLEASE!! Last one that was told to me was make her dinner [​IMG]

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    #1 Separate her from the others before she teaches them nasty habits
    #2 Check that you are giving them enough protein. Layer feed probably should have 18% protein. Do not substitute scratch
    #3 Boobytrap the egg. Some people have claimed success in breaking this habit by blowing out a few eggs and filling them with mustard.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Make sure you offer crushed oyster shell, free-choice. I've watched a hen lay an egg that cracked on the pointy side (the side that comes out first) when it landed. Once cracked, an egg will usually begin leaking and the hen will often eat it. Depending upon the force and pressure used to lay the particular egg, a weak-shelled egg can crack when it "lands".

BTW, making crushed oyster shell always available to the hen that laid the cracked egg, finally did the trick. I think it made the egg shell hard enough to endure a forceful ejection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by