Eating insulation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poultrycrazy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Will it hurt my chickens to eat insulation? Its the pink stuff and they have made huge holes in it, i think its from bordom but will it hurt them?

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:If you are talking about Styrafoam it will not hurt them, some people throw a chuck in the pen to stop feather picking. Yes it is from boredom.

3. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    My chickens love insulation. They have eaten soooooooo much, and they are still alive. I would still cover it up, but you don't have to worry.

mine didn't do it out of boredom, I just think they like the texture of it.

4. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Uh, isn't the pink stuff fiberglass?

5. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    What is a chuck? And few! i thought it might hurt them! (and yes its the styrofoam

6. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    What is a chuck? And few! i thought it might hurt them! (and yes its the styrofoam

I think he meant chunk. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Sure, they may eat it and live, but I don't think you intentionally want to give then a synthetic substance.​

7. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Mine ate a huge hole in the blue foam stuff before I could cover it and they were fine. I think the pink fluffy fiberglass stuff would be another story!

8. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Ahahaha! I am glad this post is here. The other day there was some styrofoam bits floating around my yard and one of my hens decided to run right over and investigate. I tried to shoo her away but it seemed to make her more eager to eat it! As I ran over she had lodged a big chunk in her throat. She seemed to be treating me like another chicken who might steal her "food" and ran away while repeatedly trying to swallow it. She managed to get it down and looks fine... Glad to see I'm not the only one who has witnessed this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by