eating leghorns

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rachipetal, Jan 3, 2010.

1. rachipetal

rachipetal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Bristol, Uk
    I have an 11 old Leghorn boy who's morning wake up calls are bound to cause problems with the neighbours anytime soon. If I can't find him a home soon he'll have to go for the chop but I'm wondering if he's worth eating. Is there ever enough meat on a leghorn to make it worth the effort?

Thanks for your help

2. backyardpeeps

backyardpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Big Lake MN
    We had some leghorns a few years ago. They were I think two years old when my husband and his mom "harvested" them. I couldn't bare to watch. [​IMG] When they were in the freezer, they weren't really big, but they sure tasted good!

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    when we process our hens that aren't laying anymore they aren't good for fryers but they do taste good in chicken and noodles. You can always use your Leghorn in chicken and noodles.

4. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Got some goin to swim in the rice pool this coming week. They eat good, but if you want a fryer or a good feed conversion rate they ain't so hot.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    11 years old? Have you had him that whole time and you're just now worrying about problems with the neighbors? Or is that 11 months?

If he's really old, he'll probably be tough and chewy, but good for soup. Probably not enough meat on him for anything else anyway.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Put him in the crock pot. He'll be YUMMY![​IMG]

7. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Well, he might have something on him, but if nothing else he can make you some good stock, sez I. I run out of stock faster than anything, so even a chicken with little meat is helpful.

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:maybe 11 days if he hasn't started crowing yet?

9. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    i raise leghorn roosters for Fryers! not roasting birds if u jus wanna fry up some meat their DARN TASTY! i butcher mine at minumum 20 weeks but all the leghorns i have ever raised starterd crowing long before it was time to butcher good luck dont let people discougare u beacuse theirs hardly no meat nowaday people are just so use to the CORNISH ROCKS thats its sad u go back the 20 and 30s people ate real chicken and in the groceirs people bought leghorn meat for frien.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by