1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eating lots of calcium? Laying soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5acresandadream, Nov 23, 2016.

1. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I'm still waiting on that first egg. Then last couple days I've noticed that the separate feeder I use for calcium (eggshells/oyster shells) has been eaten down like crazy. They never really played attention to it before. I was wondering if this could be a good sign?? I'm really desperate to start finding eggs!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmm, hard to say......usually the need for calcium gobbling doesn't start until after laying begins.
    Are all your birds young and yet to be laying?
    Are you feeding a layer feed?
    They may be eating it for the grit aspect?

3. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    They are a mix of 7 month olds and some 2yr olds that arent currently laying. I feed a layer economy feed, they also free range. I thought it was odd that they took to it suddenly and so much. I'll have to make sure they aren't hiding their eggs in the yard.. Lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They might be gorging because all their forage is dying off....is the layer feed always available?

5. 5acresandadream

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I offer them fermented feed twice a day and theres usually just a small amount left over. But it did snow a whole bunch about 3 days ago and that's when I noticed they are the calcium so maybe they just ate it since they didn't want to go outside lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by