Eating MICE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tfunkster, Oct 4, 2015.

1. tfunkster

tfunkster New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Locke, NY
    My 5 month old Jersey Giants were out free ranging while we were working on their new coup. Mice ran out of the compressor and my Girls chased and killed the mice; then shook, dropped and pecked the insides out of the mice (yep ate) then picked the carcass back up and shook until the mouse carcass was broken down, then to my horror, gulped it down whole. I couldn't get the dead mice away from them!!! Has anyone heard of this? In all my years of raising chickens, I have Never seen this!! Will any of the mouse end up in my eggs????[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

No the mice won't be in your eggs. The mouse will be digested and turned into poop, just like everything thing else they eat.

1 person likes this.
  4. tfunkster

tfunkster New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Locke, NY
    Thank you! I have never witnessed this behavior with mice before in all my years of raising chickens & pheasants on the farm growing up. Now that I am back into raising them with my grandson, the experience is all new and exciting and Strange!!! I appreciate all the feedback!! My JGs are def lil T-Rexs. Lol

5. MeMaAndSamantha

MeMaAndSamantha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    We have an assortment of Girls .. and all of them enjoy the chase of a spider, a fly, a dragon-fly, butter-fly or moth .. I have not seen them go after mice as our cats seem to take care of them. BUT I have seen our girls chase down lizards, then run around the yard with it in their beak followed by all the other chickens in a chasing game and making a lot of noise.
    Chicken humor at its best eh ....

6. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    Have you ever cracked an egg and had pellets or mash pour out of the shell?

7. tfunkster

tfunkster New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Locke, NY
    Hahaha, Oh, I know, I know! But,an old tymer told me that with free range chickens, sometimes bugs, worms and some of the "things" they eat will end up in their eggs. Now, I know better! BUT, this ole chick her herself got the yuk factor since I never saw this behavior, so I reached out and asked everything. I bet my dear ole tymer friend is sitting either laughing his arsh off, playing on my grossed out factor or he truly believed what he said. But, I bet you all are chuckling a bit too!! LOL

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mice, frogs, toads, dragonflies, giant banana slugs, and small birds are all fair game for my flock.

9. MeMaAndSamantha

MeMaAndSamantha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    I've had chickens most of my 66 years and am always entertained by watching them. Don't let me get started on Geese ! Or our dogs who would rather eat 'chit' of any kind rather than expensive dog food .. what's up about that ?!? Carnivores ,, can't live with them, can't live without them. Not too many people enjoy my humor, hope you are.

10. Zerlog

Zerlog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2015
    Columbia Heights MN
    Eating mice gives chickens extra protein. If you have a bucket mouse trap, you can just dump the mice in the coop and the chickens will have a feeding frenzy over it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by