1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

eating older laying chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by southpaw2022, Apr 26, 2009.

1. southpaw2022

southpaw2022 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Is this ok to do with a chicken that doesn't lay anymore or is not a good layer anymore...say a 2-3 yr old chicken?

Would it be good in a Chicken Stew??

Thanks

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thats what I think most people do with them. The meat is tough, so a stew or dumplings is the best way to go.

3. southpaw2022

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    anyone know of any good recipes for a good chicken stew?

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Cut up the chicken and put it in a dutch oven with a can of tomato soup and some olive oil. Cook on low for a couple hours and then add whole potato's....peeled.......whole carrots and onion....garlic.....salt pepper......cook til done. About another hour or so. Delicious and easy tomatoe chicken stew with a wonderful tomato gravy.

5. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I butchered one of my older layers and cooked it in the crock pot. After the meat was cooked I removed it all from the bone and made a nice chicken soup. The meat was very tender afer being cooked in the crock pot. Just do a google search for chicken noodle soup and you will get tons of recipes.

6. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yeah as long as they are hens they should be fine at any reasonable age.

Just cook it until the fibers of the meat break down a bit. I think chopping it up after cook also helps to alleviate the toughness.

Old roosters are a different story... I would use them for cat food.

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:oh what a waste

8. large1

large1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Roosters have some very good tasting meat even if very tough. You just gotta cook it till it gives up the fight. Makes for good soup or fricassee. Much better than a store bought taste free frankenchicken.

9. southpaw2022

Apr 24, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    ok then... how about this....
    Is there any reasons why not to eat your Hen after its laying days are done? Any signs to look for????

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

none at all, if it's a healthy bird eat away. [​IMG]

On another note for cooking them, we use a pressure cooker. 15 minutes and it's falling off the bone tender then we bag and freeze the meat for later. It's great for enchilades (sp) etc and makes a quick and easy dinner. Also you can do a stir fry with the meat. With the quick high heat and slice it thin it's nice and tender.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by