Eating paper towels...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doghamstyluv95, May 31, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    so my chicks are almost 2 weeks old and they started to consume some paper towels, i cannot put shavings in there because i know they will eat them, what can i do to make them stop eating the paper towels because i assume that it isnt good for them [​IMG]

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I dont think there is much you can do except to try a different bedding material, or may put them up on a wire tray so that their drooping will fall through it onto the paper towel. I dont know about every one else but my chickens are garabage disposals that eat every thing!!!!!!!!

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They are old enough for pine shavings now. They will probably end up trying the shavings, too, but at least it won't be paper towels!

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Agree, take the paper towels out.

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Hey doghamstyluv95 I think you ought to look up the post called chicken blog. This might be the answer to your bedding questions.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, they are probally just tearing up the paper towls, not really eating them. Just toss in the shavings, and they'll learn fast. Give grit if you dont let them roam the yard to eat rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by