Eating pine shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Agilityscots, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi everyone,

My chickies are here! I am so excited; these are my first chickens, and they just arrived a couple hours ago. They sure are active little things; they sleep for about two seconds and then proceed with eating, drinking, peeping and beating on each other.

They seem to be eating an awful lot of pine shavings; they've discovered the food and are eating it, but they're really eating a lot of the pine shavings. Is this bad?

I took pictures but don't know how to post them...

Amy
    1 Buff Orpington, 2 Dominiques, 1 Golden-laced Wyandotte and one surprise...maybe another Wyandotte?

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Place a couple of layers of papertowels over the shavings for the first few days to prevent them from eating the shavings.

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi NewChick,

Thanks! I went down and put paper towels in the brooder after reading your post...now if I could just hide the poop! LOL

Amy

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    You're welcome! You might have to change the papertowels more than you would any other litter, but as long as they don't eat the pine shavings.. Also, make sure they're not eating the papertowels, either. [​IMG]

5. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    To post your pic's you will need to create an account in photobucket
    www.photobucket.com

once you've uploaded there, right click and copy the IMG code under your picture.
    When you're on BYC, creating a new message or reply.
    Click on the IMG button at the top.
    Then put your cursor between the two IMG's in brackets and PASTE your picture. (I sometimes have to delete one set of IMG's before the picture will show up)

Chelly

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi NewChick,

Ha! So far they aren't eating the paper towels, but I'm sure it's only a matter of days. They seem to eat EVERYthing...even pecking at each other's toes!

Thanks Chelly for photo-posting instructions. Seems kind of complicated...but maybe I'll do it in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by