Eating pullets first few eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by geeber, Sep 6, 2010.

1. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    This is my first time w/ having chickens & I've been reading this message board almost everyday. But I've not seen this question addressed (yet). The first few eggs our pullets lay, are they good to eat? Should we wait until they are laying bigger eggs before eating them? I know it's silly, but I am curious. Thank you.

Oh, & do you ever stop thanking your girls for the eggs. I'm thanking Esther every day. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Go ahead and eat the first eggs, it's OK.
    Enough little ones and you can tell your friends that you ate a 12 egg omelette. [​IMG]

Imp- Oh! and as to thanking Esther. Don't ever stop. Chickens have long memories, and she'll make you pay.[​IMG]

3. geeber

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    Funny you mentioned that. Yesterday while she was on her nest, I tried to pet her. Yes, I'm not a farm girl. She hauled off & bit me. Who knew? I'm sure she'll never forgive me that. My partner told me I should leave her alone during her 'private' time. Ha-ha. Live & learn.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The first ones are good to eat. Actually, they have less cholesterol, calories, everything that you may consider bad is less in these first eggs so they are great to eat. A lot of people don't believe this at first. But the same think is true of bantam eggs. They have less cholesterol and eveything else too. They are smaller so they have less of everything, good or bad.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    In my opinion, the first eggs are the best tasting!! There's no reason not to eat them. Enjoy!!
    I always thank my girls for their contributions! [​IMG]

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Enjoy those eggs !!! They are delicious! ......I never stop thanking my girls for their eggs. And when I can tell who they came from, I thank them by name! [​IMG]

7. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    The first are the best

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    as others have said... the first eggs are the BEST!!!

i absolutely LOVE me some pullet eggs.....they make the best fried eggs!

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    We always eat ours!

10. geeber

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    We did it. We fried the first three eggs up in real butter. They were amazing!! Thank you so much for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by