eating roosters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cariboujaguar, May 13, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    We have a meat place around here who plucks, guts etc a chicken any size for $3.00 so we wanted to get a few for meat and have them done. As we waited for the money to buy some cornish or some or other big meat breed we've come across many free roosters. Mostly EE and RIR, they are 1-2 yrs and the people offer then for meat/pets w/e the taker wants. Would it be worth it for me to take them and pay the $3 to have them butchered, or do roosters taste off like buck goats, bull cattle etc?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Roosters taste much more like *chicken* than hens. That said, I used them in my chicken soups and things along those lines, and they are the best you ever tasted! Wonderful flavor!

I would jump on it, if I were you.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I don't notice any difference in the taste of rooster versus hen. Just keep in mind that roosters that old will only be good for soup. At least that's what we do with ours. Cornish are sooooo tastey [​IMG] You'll love them [​IMG]

4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    so what age do you usually kill a chicken or rooster? Do they get stringy if you wait to long or what? I have a line on a whole bunch of EE chicks too, they want to give me all the roos...

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    With EE's, I would probably butcher around 16-20 weeks. Cornish, more typically butcher around 6-8 weeks. You can always butcher later, you'll just have to cook for longer. The traditional coq a vin recipe calls for a two-year-old roo.

6. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    We just processed two roosters this past weekend.

First I put them in a brine. I used a kettle of water with sea salt and molasses for a few days in the refrigerator....you may not have to do that because your slow cooking them...I just did.

Filled my large crock pot with water and let it cook for 4 or more hours....

Separated bone from meat...

Put broth in freezer until fat settled on top. Removed most of fat...
    Heated broth on stove....

Added dumplings (Bisquick) (or not...can just add noodles later).

Put back in crock...with meat, celery, onions, carrots, sweet basil and a dash of salt and pepper to your taste.....The Best....

Took some to my Mother who wasn't feeling well and my Father....My husband took a small pot over to our neighbors and we ate the rest...All Enjoyed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by