Eating Roosters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Aug 6, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend and I have several 12-15 week old roo's that we do not plan on keeping. My friends mother says you can't eat roo's after a certain age. Being novices, we had never heard of it. Is this true? What age would be the best to cull them?

2. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    Generally speaking, around 18-22 weeks. They will not be broiler/roaster material but work as fryers or just general purpose "eating" chickens. Crock pots and pressure cookers are a older birds best friend. Make sure you are feeding them a high protein broiler feed so they get as much meat on them as possible. I have about 40 dual purpose roos that will be culled and pressure canned for quick chicken for casseroles, soup etc this winter.

Jane

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    We culled at 14-15 weeks. We had an older one (17 weeks), and he was a bit tougher. They were on 20% protein feed and free ranged, dressed between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds each. I was happy with them. Great grilled split in half.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We just culled 10 Roos at 17 weeks, dinner was very good last night.

Crock Pot, 8-9 hours, very good, fell off the bones, tender, did I say it was good?

[​IMG]

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    We have also culled a rooster. He was about 19 weeks old. We ate him the next day! I had grilled him with a beer on a holder. I have not heard of the whole you can't eat a rooster that is .... old. I really don't think it would matter except maybe how you cook or prepare him. I hope this helps.

6. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I would do it now! We did ours at 15 weeks and just ate one of them tonight. My first time by the way and he was very tender. I cooked him whole in the roasting pan in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. He only weighed 3 1/4 pounds, but he was very very good.

7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by